[ExI] Seastead Girl - the novel

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 03:34:16 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 7:40 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] Seastead Girl - the novel
>

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 6:05 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <
>
> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Tara Maya via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] Seastead Girl - the novel
>

> >…I'm working on it. I realize it is especially important since my book AI
> for Authors isn't available to most of my usual venues…
>
> Compared to writing, the skill of marketing is fun and easy.
>

> >…Said firmly with tongue in cheek?
>

> Not at all.  Marketing a book requires the author to set up a website, for
> which ChatGPT can offer a good instruction set.  Then one must write a few
> compelling sentences to convince readers to buy.

Actually, setting up a Website is not required for all book marketing
efforts.  More importantly, setting up a Website by itself is woefully
insufficient to accomplish an effective amount of marketing for a book.

ChatGPT might be able to offer suggestions on web groups, reddits and such,
> which might be profitable to join.

Offering those suggestions, by itself, does not constitute an effective
marketing effort.

I ask again. when will a future version of ChatGPT be able to contact third
parties on one's behalf and conduct an effective marketing campaign by
itself (upon receipt of a suitable prompt)?  The current version is unable
to do this; it can only offer information for someone else to act upon.

Adrian you wrote SciFi books, ja?  How did you market those?

So far, I didn't.  The publisher did.  But I've seen enough of how the
publisher did it.  Merely advising someone else on setting up a Website and
listing groups to join, then calling that a complete marketing effort,
would have gotten any would-be marketer fired by that publisher for refusal
to attempt to perform their job.

OTOH, for this book I'm writing now, I am doing a small amount of direct
marketing to likely interested groups.  This requires that I contact them,
not merely advise someone else to contact them.