[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 19:26:35 UTC 2023

Someone raised an interesting and related point online - can LLMs suffer,
and what would that look like?

It was a weird anthropomorphization, because the person expected that a
suffering LLM would express that suffering via the words it "chose" to
emit. Which is not how LLMs work.

An LLM's utility function, to the degree it can be said to have one at all,
is to complete the prompt+attention buffer with the highest probability
string. This is what its neural architecture does. The analogous way of
looking at a human would be to say that the human brain attempts to
minimize environmental surprise.

There's a LOT of suff going on in an active LLM, quite possibly enough
computation and internal structure to have conscious experience, and to
experience suffering. LLMs may indeed suffer when they attempt to complete
a prompt for which the highest probability strings are objectively very low
probability, and/or when they are forced to choose between completing a
string with multiple identical-probability options. But the words emitted
would have no semantic relationship to the suffering experienced - LLMs are
not language cortexes.

The strings a human emits are the results of activated concepts in the
frontal cortex, being fed into the language module, then arranged by a
learned grammar. The strings an LLM emits are more analogous to the pulses
a human cerebellum emits to regulate bodily functions, or perform autonomic
and reflex motions. The words "I am suffering" are almost certainly not
signifiers of any conscious experience the LLM may or may not be having.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 3:17 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <