[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 21:56:09 UTC 2023

Hi Brent,
Maybe you want to forward this to the group because it came just to me.
Yes, you are right in your interpretation of what I'm saying, greeness (the
perception of green) and redness (the perception of red) in a individual
are 2 activations patterns that are different (involved different neurons
in certain brain regions). They will be different in this sense.

*Would you be able to detect this difference by objectively observing
anything in their brains?  If so, what would the difference be?*It is
different patterns so yes, I would be able to tell something is different
from when red is perceived vs green. The question then is can I tell that
the person is seeing red or green?
YES. But only statistically because brains are slightly different. If I
take a sample of people and show them red their activation pattern would be
unique at the level of single neurons but the general area of activation,
types of neurons and approximate number will be the same. I could draw the
activation patterns in a map of the brain for each person and see there is
a general over laps in a given region for red and one in a given region for
green. By the way this is exactly how they can do crazy stuff like showing
pictures of different objects to people and measure fMRI (that are related
to brain activation patterns) and train an AI to associate that fMRI
patterns with the given image. I made a post several days ago about this
but for whatever reason the administrators did't approve the post (not sure
why). But here it is:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.11.18.517004v2.full.pdf