[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 09:25:40 UTC 2023

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, 11:45 PM Gordon Swobe <gordon.swobe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>

>> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, 7:25 PM Gordon Swobe <gordon.swobe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>>> extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>>

> Note: I did not say the software is alive, nor did I say it was conscious
>> like humans are. Only that things that demonstrate awareness of something
>> we can assume to be conscious of something.
>>

> This makes the conscious LLM claim trivial and uninteresting. My Ring
>> doorbell in my smart home is “aware” of motion in front my door and starts
>> shooting video. Excuse me, but so what.

It does make achieving consciousness trivial. But uninteresting? Not
necessarily. The interesting question then is not if it is consciousness,
but rather: what is it conscious of, and how similar or different is its
consciousness from our own?

We shouldn't be surprised that there are different classes and levels and
kinds of conscious, just as there are for different kinds and levels and
types of intelligence or of life.

We can use the word life for anything from a bacterium to a giant squid to
an aspen grove. This doesn't make the term life, or the field of biology
trivial or uninteresting. Instead it points to the wide diversity and
potentiality of life. I believe the same diversity and potentially exists
for consciousness.

It means there are possible beings with consciousness as different and as
more sophisticated to our own consciousness as ours is to ants. It means
there's a nearly infinite number if ways to be, feel, know, perceive and
exist. There are infinite flavors and colors. There are infinite degrees of
awareness. To me, this makes the subject of consciousness all the more
interesting.

Jason