[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 19:05:30 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> It has awareness in my opinion, as it has demonstrated a perception of the
> words I feed it by virtue of crafting a sensible reply in response.
>
> You can deny that awareness only if you find it consistent to speak of an
> "unaware awareness."

Everything can be said to be aware of something. I mentioned that the
doorbell in my smart home becomes aware of motion outside my door and
starts shooting video. Just as the words that GPT-4 generates are helpful
and meaningful to me, so too is the fact that my doorbell is helping me
look out for thieves and vandals, but it is trivial and uninteresting.

-gts