[ExI] Who does or does not think consciousness is composed of color (and other) qualities?

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 02:55:58 UTC 2023

In the line of the previous example and your original question if I even
understand it then one could do several experiments. For example, I could
show the color red to a subject using different levels of
alcohol (something to modify consciousness somehow) and see how the person
responds. Again, we need to do this with a large sample of individuals to
understand what is in common and different in subjects. I could try
different types of drugs again to alter the states of consciousness. I
could present the colors with different backgrounds, inside different
shapes, at the corner of the screen vs the center, and so on. In fact, all
these experiments have been done and it is an entire field of science
called psychophysics. I'm sure there are review papers that describe what
is our best understanding of the link between consciousness and the
experience of colors. I'm very sure in these papers a sentence like*
Consciousness is composed of qualities like redness, greenness, and warmth *is
nowhere to be found because it doesn't make any sense from a scientific
point of view. No scientist would express his finding in this way. There
are very good reasons why that is the case. One of the main things that
come to mind is that "quality" is a very vague term. It seems to me
something an Aristotelian would use that were the enemies of Galileo when
he was trying to introduce the scientific method. We have moved from
qualities to quantity and it allowed us to make enormous progress in
understanding reality.