[ExI] Who does or does not think consciousness is composed of color (and other) qualities?

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Mon Apr 10 06:00:23 UTC 2023

In the introduction the "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Brain," Julian Jaynes goes over eight different major theories of how to define consciousness.

He also describes it with a poetry I envy:

"A secret theater of speechless monologue and prevenient counsel, an invisible mansion of all moods, musings, and mysteries, an infinite resort of disappointments and discoveries. A whole kingdom where each of us reigns reclusively alone, questioning what we will, commanding what we can. A hidden hermitage where we may study out the troubled book of what we have done and yet may do. An introcosm that is more myself than anything I can find in the mirror. This consciousness that is myself of selves, that is everything, and yet nothing at all--what is it?"

Although posed as a question, that seems to me the best definition I've ever read of consciousness.

I have no idea of what it's composed of, only that it is a prerequisite to debate its own composition.

Tara Maya