[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 20:23:23 UTC 2023

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 1:53 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> What is the simplest possible conscious state that you can imagine? What
> are its contents?

It might be, for example, a brief sensation and awareness of pain. Let us
say the pain of a toothache. I am an entirely unconscious being having no
subjective first person experience whatsoever and no awareness of such,
then for a moment, I become conscious and feel and note the subjective
experience of a toothache, then fall back into unconsciousness.

-gts