[ExI] list intimidation

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Apr 13 01:01:33 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Gadersd via extropy-chat
…

>…I jog everyday and almost every time I cross the path of a stranger he or she will either nod or give a greeting of some kind. Ever since I was a child these “social token" acknowledgements have been gut wrenching. I almost have to grit my teeth to return the acknowledgment. I’m not sure of the reason for the aversion, but these “social tokens” have always annoyed me to no end…  Gadersd

Gadersd, that comment astonishes me.  I never thought a pleasant exchange of greetings could ever be annoying.  Yesterday I was on the phone with an old friend from college (the one with which I cooked up the computer room gags endlessly.)  I went on about how I perceive my own neighborhood to be filled almost exclusively by very pleasant people with whom I exchange friendly waves and greetings nearly every day.  Now, I hear some people find that gut wrenching and that California culture is fake.

I don’t know how to process this information.  Of course I have the option to not process that information and continue as I always have.