[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 01:09:09 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 11:49 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 12/04/2023 16:01, Jason Resch wrote:
> > Just when I thought I understood your theory this last paragraph above
> > completely undermines that understanding.
>
> Have you considered that it might just be, literally, nonsense?

 At this point in time, there are over 40 people, explicitly supporting RQT
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/6-Representational-Qualia>,
the petition saying they agree with what we are all saying, concisely and
quantitatively.

Do you think there is any chance an argument like "It's just Turtles, all
the way down." could achieve anything close to that amount of support?

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 1:58 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> Other parts of the brain decode the meaning of the signals they receive.
>>

> They decode it to WHAT?  Decoding from one code, to another code, none of
> which is like anything
>

> This is the heart of the problem. The idea that 'a code' has to refer to
> 'something'. Some concrete, non-code, non-signal 'thing'. That is a
> misconception. There is no 'like anything'. Really.
>
> "Decoding the meaning" just means mapping a set of signals to another set
> of signals. That's all. Associating signals together. All there is are
> signals, the brain doesn't (can't) deal with anything else. The signals
> ultimately come from the sense organs, which detect patterns in the
> environment. (more signals, really). It's just Turtles, all the way down.
>
> This insistence that the brain has to contain 'real things' that are not
> neural signals is pathological, really. It goes against all the evidence
> and logic, and just leads to endless pointless arguing. This concept
> belongs with phlogiston and the luminiferous aether. We know better now.
>
> I think we should stop at glutamate, and give it a decent burial.

We predict experimentalists will soon prove which camp is THE ONE, forcing
everyone into it.