[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 11:14:45 UTC 2023

I want to add a few more notes to what Jason already said in a previous
email about the virtues of functionalism.
It simply works and the entire history of science and technology shows
that. The critics of "heavier than air" flight said repeatedly before
actual heavy-than-air happened that it was impossible to happen. But it did
happen. When you don't focus on function and instead focus on supposed
qualities (like being heavier than air) you fail to understand what is
essential in the natural world. Before Galileo gave demonstrations and
precise reasoning of what was essential in an object to float people
thought that floating had to do with the proper mixing of qualities like
earth, air, fire, and water. This understanding of the world was completely
wrong.
Giovanni

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 2:19 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <