[ExI] ai test

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Apr 15 03:37:54 UTC 2023

Quoting William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
<extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>:

> from Neurosciencenews daily:
>
> “One classic test problem of cognitive psychology that we gave to GPT-3 is
> the so-called Linda problem,” explains Binz, lead author of the study.
>
> Here, the test subjects are introduced to a fictional young woman named
> Linda as a person who is deeply concerned with social justice and opposes
> nuclear power. Based on the given information, the subjects are asked to
> decide between two statements: is Linda a bank teller, or is she a bank
> teller and at the same time active in the feminist movement?
>
> Most people intuitively pick the second alternative, even though the added
> condition – that Linda is active in the feminist movement – makes it less
> likely from a probabilistic point of view. And GPT-3 does just what humans
> do: the language model does not decide based on logic, but instead
> reproduces the fallacy humans fall into.\\
>

> So they are programming cognitive biases into the AIs?  Inadvertently, of
> course.   ????    Bill W

No Bill, they are not programming anything into AIs. AIs are like
human children, tabulae rasa upon which anything can be imprinted.
Intelligence has always been about about being a quick study, even if
what you are studying is complete garbage. If intelligence was really
about "knowing it all" relative to objective TRUTH, then this man
might have been God:

https://www.npr.org/2011/01/23/132737060/meet-william-james-sidis-the-smartest-guy-ever#:~:text=Born%20in%20Boston%20in%201898,Times%20before%20he%20was%202

Instead, he was just another unhappy soul who lived and died in
relative obscurity to Kim Kardashian.

Intelligence, no matter how great, is merely an advantage in a game of
imperfect information and not a supernatural power in the slightest.
Fear not intelligence, artificial or natural. Instead fear ignorance.
Because as H.G. Wells once said, "Human history becomes more and more
a race between education and catastrophe."

Stuart LaForge