[ExI] Against the paperclip maximizer or why I am cautiously optimistic

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 12:49:58 UTC 2023

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023, 1:49 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 6:09 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>

>> All good points, I agree at some point we won't be in the driver's seat
>> so it may be moot from our planning perspective. The last two science
>> fiction stories I have read (Culture series and Hyperion)
>>

> ### It's a pity Iain Banks died, the Culture novels are great.

Yes it's too bad.. I have enjoyed each of them so far. I still have a few
left.

I read Hyperion so many years ago.... very hazy.

I am referring to this: (don't click if you haven't read it yet and don't
want spoilers) https://hyperioncantos.fandom.com/wiki/TechnoCore

> It's only recently though that I found out the meaning of the word
> "shrike". When I first read the Hyperion books I thought it was just a
> random neologism and its meaning within the story eluded me.

Ahh nice I didn't realize that connection either. Thanks for pointing this
out.

Jason