[ExI] My guesses about GPTs consciousness

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 19:22:11 UTC 2023

Yes Rafal,
Most everything you say seems quite insightful, and helpful.
I'd also like to know: would you define consciousness?

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 6:59 AM SR Ballard via extropy-chat <

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 1:25 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <
>
>> 4) I do not know what structures arose in the GPT4 to be able to process
>> sensory (e.g. visual) information. If they are different from the human
>> sensory cortex, the corresponding qualia might be also completely different
>> from human.

This sounds very compatible with the way I think about qualities of
subjective knowledge.
Here is the image I always show to describe my view:
[image: 3_robots_tiny.png]
In other words, robots represent knowledge of red things with abstract
names, like the word 'red'.  The system can't know what redness is like,
and it can't know what the word red means, without a dictionary.
For us, the subjective quality of our knowledge of red things is just a
fact.  No dictionary required.
So, just wondering if you would agree with this?
And the supporters of the Representational Qualia Theory
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/6-Representational-Qualia>
petition camp are working on building and tracking consensus around a
definition of consciousness as:
*"Computationally bound elemental subjective qualities like redness and
greenness."*

Oh, and Jason had a great idea of how to improve this image, so here is an
early draft (we're still working on making it better):
[image: The Strawberry is Red_02.jpg]
Jason, let me know what you think. Does it better communicate what I'm
trying to say about qualities of conscious knowledge?