[ExI] My guesses about GPTs consciousness

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Apr 16 21:22:50 UTC 2023

On 16/04/2023 19:07, bill w wrote:
> One cannot sense without consciousness  Jason
>
> Oh yes we can - dreams. Visual, mostly, rarely auditory, never touch,
> smell or taste (unless some chat member reports any of those. )  bill w

I can definitely report that my dreams sometimes incorporate sound
(playing a musical instrument) and touch (we won't go there). Don't
recall taste or smell, though. Proprioception as well, though, very
commonly (as in, almost always. Many of my dreams are about movement -
running, cycling, skating, flying, as well as less common and physically
impossible ways of moving - and I can feel the motion, not just see it).

The question of whether we are conscious while dreaming is an
interesting one, though. Lucid dreaming - are we really conscious then?
And I sometimes have what I'd call 'semi-lucid' dreams where I can
control events, or at least influence them, but am not as conscious as
in a lucid dream.

Ben