[ExI] all we are is just llms was: RE: e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Apr 17 14:56:58 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

>…I mean it is always good to have some skepticism about these things. I don't think any of us are claiming that GPT-4 is as conscious as a human being. I think most of us are excited mostly by early signs that indicate there is something there rather than nothing. As in the Microsoft paper, we see "sparks of AGI"… Giovanni

Well ja, it is all a kind of replay of the collective crises some of us have been thru before.  Now instead of our favorite sport, it is everything.

There’s a song that kinda describes the feeling.  Substitute the words “…all we are is dust in the wind…” with “… all we are is just LLMs…”

https://youtu.be/tH2w6Oxx0kQ