[ExI] e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 18:37:43 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 3:55 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 18/04/2023 06:59, Gordon Swobe wrote:
>
> There is no direct perception of anything.

I did not mean that as a philosophical statement about what is called
Direct or Naive Realism — just making the distinction between an apple in
your hand and something entirely imaginary.

We don't perceive apples, we construct them.

Your argument about how we construct mental objects is perfectly fine with
me, but the word “perception” still has meaning.

When an ordinary person not busy doing philosophy about how we construct
mental models refers to an apple that he sees, he is referring to his
perception of it and not the physical apple itself, which is a distinction
I should have but did not make clear at the outset.

-gts