[ExI] Definition of Consciousness (Was Re: My guesses about GPTs consciousness)

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:24:27 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023, 7:52 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Hi Daniel,
> Yes, currently our priority is getting Canonizer to make some income.
> Once we achieve that, we will focus on significantly expanding the
> theories of consciousness survey, hopefully including 10s of thousands of
> philosophers representing their current views.
> Right now it is Just a concise and quantitative representation of what the
> 70 or so participants believe.
> There is evidence with what we have that functionalism is the most
> popular way to think about consciousness,  And you sound like a
> functionalist.
> Except the current functionalist camps do differ from this belief:
>
> "qualia and redness in fact are "red herrings" that will get us nowhere,
> and should best be left alone."
>
> I've been working to get someone to help us get a camp along these lines,
> as a competitor to the Representational Qualia Theory camp started.  I'm
> sure once a camp like that exists, there will be more people interested in
> supporting a camp like that.  Probably some on this list?  Anyone?
> Would you be willing to support such a camp?  I'd be willing to do all the
> work.  All you'd need to do is "support' it.

What's the difference between a camp and an idea? Can a person only belong
to one camp at a time?

This is why I think simple polls with Yes/No, Agree/Disagree statements
might be more illustrative. The absolute number of people answering would
be unimportant, but it would show what the consensus of thought is on any
particular question.

My reservation with subscribing to a camp is  that as I understand it,
anyone might change the definition of the camp (or it's position in the
hierarchy of camps) to one I disagree with. I also think my positions are
nuanced enough that I don't know if one person in a thousand would fall
into the same camp as I would define it.

Jason