[ExI] Noam Chomsky on ChatGPT

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:40:47 UTC 2023

"The human mind is not, like ChatGPT and its ilk, a lumbering statistical
engine for pattern matching, gorging on hundreds of terabytes of data and
extrapolating the most likely conversational response or most probable
answer to a scientific question. On the contrary, the human mind is a
surprisingly efficient and even elegant system that operates with small
amounts of information; it seeks not to infer brute correlations among data
points but to create explanations."

- Noam Chomsky, New York Times, March 8, 2023

I won't speak to Chomsky's sometimes contentious political views, but he is
undeniably a world-renowned linguist with a deep understanding of human
language. Like Emily Bender, Professor of Computational Linguistics at the
University of Washington whom I have also cited, he understands the
difference between authentic, meaningful human discourse and the sort of
superficial, mindless, statistics-driven chatter produced by large language
models.

Noam Chomsky: The False Promise of ChatGPT
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/08/opinion/noam-chomsky-chatgpt-ai.html

-gts