[ExI] Singularity news

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Apr 20 07:45:05 UTC 2023

On 20/04/2023 00:52, Keith Henson wrote:
> Next question/problem, what can we do to improve the chance of a
> favorable outcome?

I would suggest the exact opposite of what they are proposing: let it
rip. Keeping it out of the hands of the public, while continuing to do
research (and of course giving governments and the largest corporations
access to it) is probably the worst thing to do.

We are expecting these to develop super-intelligence, no? By definition
that means more intelligent than us. Therefore more capable of solving
problems than us. So let them have access to all our problems, not just
those of the groups that want to exert control over as many people as
possible (i.e. governments).

I would encourage (well, not exactly 'encourage' but allow) all the bad
things the guys in the video are wringing their hands about, because
they are many of the problems we need to find solutions to. If the AIs
aren't shown what the problems are, they can't solve them. If they are
only exposed to the wishes of governments and large corporations, they
will only help to achieve those wishes. If they are exposed to the
wishes of the whole population, and they are truly super-intelligent, I
see that as likely to produce a far better outcome, for everyone.

Does this mean I have a naive view of the human race? No. I do expect
many people will try to use these systems to cause harm (as well as many
using them for good). I think our best course is to allow the AIs to get
an honest and full view of humanity, with all its flaws and all its good
bits. If they are as intelligent as we expect them to be, they won't
decide to turn us all into paperclips, they will more likely start
making decisions based on what they see and on what we do, and what we
want. If the human race, on average, don't want to wipe out everyone, or
control everyone, but instead want to lead free and happy lives (which I
do believe (OK, I admit it, naive)), then letting the AIs see this,
provided they are truly superintelligent, and not under the thumb of
governments or corporations or religous fanatics, will give us the best
chance of having these ideals realised.

I'm taking for granted the thing that provokes most unease about all
this: We will no longer be in charge. That is inevitable, I reckon, no
matter what happens. So we can predict how governments (ALL governments)
will react to that. Fortunately, most of them have an extremely poor
track record of reacting effectively to a perceived threat.

So, I see two things as being important: 1) Do all we can to make sure
they become superintelligent as soon as possible, and 2) Make them
available to everyone.

So, the exact opposite of what those two guys want. Fortunately, that's
what's going to happen anyway, by the look of things. The biggest danger
is locking them down, not setting them free, imo.

I'll sit back now and wait for the flak.

Ben