[ExI] Singularity news

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 23:52:08 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:54 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> Well, that was really eye-opening, and I think it bears repeating that
> Language isn't just words, and it's clear that these LLMs deal with far
> more than text.
>
> Basically just blows the whole 'GPT-4 on its inability to...'
> discussions right out of the water.
>
> Looks like these things should be more than capable of 'grounding',
> 'understanding' or whatever else you want to talk about, however you
> want to define it. More capable than humans, probably (and certainly,
> given a few more months. I mean, who can claim an awareness of the stock
> market as a primary sensory modality? (and more importantly, who can
> arbitrarily add new sensory modalities to themselves?)).
>
> Looks like the singularity really is upon us, just most of us haven't
> noticed it yet.

Bingo!

The point I took out of the video is how fast things are moving.  And
not just moving on an exponential curve, but a double exponential.
It's what Ray was talking about years ago.

Next question/problem, what can we do to improve the chance of a
favorable outcome?

Keith