[ExI] all we are is just llms was: RE: e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 21 04:46:50 UTC 2023

Regarding measuring GPT’s intelligence, this must have already been done and is being done.  Reasoning: I hear GPT is passing medical boards exams and bar exams and such, so we should be able to give it IQ tests, then compare its performance with humans on that test.  I suspect GPT will beat everybody at least on some tests.

So… now we need to assume for the sake of investigation that consciousness and intelligence are (somehow) separable mental processes.  I don’t know of any test analogous to an IQ test for consciousness.  Does anyone here know of such a thing?

After all my posts, I think I have just argued myself back to where I started: without some objective way to measure consciousness, we are doing little more here than debating the definition of an ill-defined term.

Damn.