[ExI] all we are is just llms

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 21:41:50 UTC 2023

What is a liberal education?  Exposing students to the worlds of
literature, history, the sciences and behavioral sciences.  Etc.  With
professional help and guidance.  In other words, nothing that is not on the
web, including professional help, and all or mostly free.  The 'mostly'
part is the for-profit sites which give you certificates and so on.  I see
no future for traditional liberal arts colleges except in those cases where
graduation from them is a huge plus for getting hired - Harvard, Wharton
and such.

Professors will be online to give guidance and help, along with personal
opinions.

Colleges get tons of money from the feds for research in all fields.  Would
it be better if those research parts of colleges just go commercial and
leave the education business?  They could still get fed money, no?  I
really don't know anything about this aspect of colleges.

As Spike said to me a good while back. lectures are history.  I loved doing
them but I see his point.  Is face to face contact really necessary for
most students?  Some want (say they need) a lot of hand-holding and they
will have to do without it.  Maybe more later.   bill w

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 3:26 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <