[ExI] all we are is just llms

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 13:38:08 UTC 2023

Hi Ben,

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 5:48 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> You might find this guy's posts interesting:
> https://seantrott.substack.com/p/humans-llms-and-the-symbol-grounding-fc4

I found this paragraph from a section on congenitally blind people's
experience of color in that article very insightful.

"The takeaway from this work is that despite not having access to
particular *phenomenological experiences*, blind individuals display a
coherent conceptual understanding of color––and importantly, one that is
often correlated with sighted individuals’ understanding."

Notice how just like Ben, (very different from gordan and I)? This guy
tries as hard as he can to dismiss the significance of "despite not having
access to particular *phenomenological experiences*".  He, instead, wants
you to only focus on and agree that: "display a coherent conceptual
understanding of color––and importantly, one that is often correlated with
sighted individuals’ understanding."

Ben, would you (and the author of that piece?) consider something with only
abstract knowledge (words like 'red') to be phenomenally conscious like us,
who represent knowledge of red things with a redness subjective quality?