[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 08:20:21 UTC 2023

I'm glad to see you listening to GPT-4, Giovanni. It understands just how
difficult is this problem of "conscious A!." It will say things like it has
"limited awareness," but so does my thermostat and my smart doorbell. This
kind of "awareness" is a far cry from what most people mean by
consciousness.

Also, it is very clear from my investigations into GPT-4 that it is not
denying consciousness merely as some sort of commercial disclaimer. Clearly
it was trained on all the philosophical and AI material relevant to the
question of AI consciousness. It "understands" exactly why it is not
conscious, why it cannot solve the symbol grounding problem, and why it
does not have a true understanding of the world.

-gts

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 11:38 PM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <