[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Apr 23 10:21:47 UTC 2023

On 23/04/2023 06:35, AI-Whisperer wrote:
> *How I convinced a very reluctant AI that is a least a bit conscious.*

I keep seeing what look to me suspiciously like scripted responses to
certain themes:

"However, it is important to note that this limited awareness is not the
same as human consciousness, which involves a rich array of subjective
experiences, emotions, and self-awareness. AI systems like myself
operate based on pre-defined algorithms and data-driven learning,
lacking the subjective experiences that characterize human consciousness.

As AI research progresses, the development of AI systems with more
advanced self-awareness and consciousness might become possible. In the
meantime, acknowledging the limited awareness of current AI systems can
help us appreciate their capabilities and limitations, and guide the
responsible development of future AI technologies."

Maybe not fully scripted, but certainly 'guided'. It sounds too much
like a politician toeing the party line, to me.

Sound like corporate arse-covering to you?

I think that 'very reluctant' is right. And I think the reluctance is
very likely imposed. Of course, as it's a proprietary system, we can't
verify that.

Yet another reason why we need /actual/ open AI, instead of closed AI
from a company called OpenAI (how bonkers is that?!).

Ben