[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 08:55:31 UTC 2023

I met Umberto Eco in Bologna and we had an interesting conversation about
the concept of meaning in physics. I took a course in the semiotics of
exoterism (this is before he wrote the book The Foucault's Pendulum which
should be as famous as The Name of the Rose). By the way the Name of the
Rose title comes from a famous ancient riddle about naming things.

I didn't remember his exact position on the topic of referents but I knew
by his general ideas that he would have thought it is bull crap that
referents are needed for meaning and I was right. Here is a good article
explaining Eco's understanding of language as a code.

https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/sem-2015-0021/html?lang=en#CIT0007_w2aab2b8c17b1b7b1ab2ab7Aa