[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 16:57:28 UTC 2023

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023, 12:44 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 4:18 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>
>> Just some food for thought. I don't argue that it does or doesn't have
>> this capacity, only that it isn't definitive to me either way.
>>

> How is the difference between [image: red_border.png] and "*RED*" not
> absolutely definitive?

I can tell a person to "imagine a bright red firetruck." And despite no
visual stimulus they could see �� in their mind.

If a person can do it, then perhaps an AI can as well. We know it can
imagine and draw objects from textual descriptions as a Giovanni showed.
It's not definitive (in my opinion) that it cannot imagine colors as well.
Early models could imagine shapes and three dimensional scenes despite
never being trained on images, so it's not absurd to think it has other
imaginative capabilities.

Jason