[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 20:13:18 UTC 2023

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 1:05 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

I agree it is always unfortunate when general words get overloaded, but
there was a legitimate historical reason for this term (at least
initially). The transformer model was designed to consist of a pair, of an
"encoder" and "decoder", where one input can be transformed into another.
For example, translating English into French, or subtitles into spoken
words, or vice-versa, etc.

However, what GPT and its many related incarnations as chat bots are, are
not transformers in this original sense, but simply one part of it,
generally the decoder only. The decoder, running on its own without the
encoder, is sufficient to generate streams of english text given a prompt.
But with only the decoder, it's no longer really a "transformer", so we are
stuck with this inaccurate, overloaded, confusing term.

Jason