[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 20:38:56 UTC 2023

*For which opinion, I think, there might be many reasons offered: but that
being besides my present business, I shall not trouble my reader with them;
but only mind him, that the contrary supposition, if it could be proved, is
of little use, either for the improvement of our knowledge, or conveniency
of life, and so we need not trouble ourselves to examine it."*

*-- John Locke in "An Essay Concerning Humane Understanding" (1690)*
Yeah, this is what I was trying to say to Brent many times, it is a useless
question anyway. Even if one did this experiment it will not tell us
anything about consciousness.

 * Would you agree that consciousness is dependent on the quality of
redness and greenness. *
I don't agree at all. Redness and greeness are complex processes, they
exist because consciousness exists. Consciousness probably was developed in
order for the individual to be aware of the presence of certain signals
like the redness of ripe fruit. It is an emergent property. Also, all this
business of redness and greeness is made of feedback loops in the sense
that yes we have perceptions and we are conscious of them but also our
state of consciousness affects perception. It is clear to me that redness
is not just the 1 to 1 response to the presence of light in a given range
of frequencies given the color illusion experiments shown in the video I
linked. It is a very high level interpretation (like words or concepts are)
of visual information the brain receives. It considers lighting conditions,
the object we are looking at (in fact if it is a fruit we are familiar
with, implying language influences our perception of the world), the
surrounding colors (indicating that there is not such a thing as a pixel of
redness) and the internal state of the brain itself (being tired, having
taken drugs, being a child or an adult). Once and forever there is not such
a thing as redness that you can pinpoint in a brain and say "This is it,
this is Brent redness !".
At most, you can say "when Brent sees a real strawberry these regions of
the brain are activated in this order", or "when Brent sees an optical
illusion of the brain these other regions of the brain are activated". It
is obvious they have to be different regions even if the sensation is
similar at the level of higher interpretation. This is the only interesting
type of scientific question one can ask, how the brain arrives at the same
conclusion under such very different (in fact opposite conditions, a
grey-colored pixel creating in the brain a red sensation). It is
interesting to understand how the brain process information but it is
really not earth-shaking in terms of understanding what consciousness is.

Giovanni

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 1:12 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <