[ExI] a little essay on anger and respect

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 00:45:11 UTC 2023

In any group you will find people who cannot control their anger.  No one
is mature until they do so or at least are working on it seriously.

Respect is a major factor in shooting.  Dissing someone's mother is
typical.  "Your mother is a ........"  Followed by a 'need' for revenge -
and anger, which of course drowns critical thinking.

And then the guns came out to protect your mother's reputation.

What does a slur mean?  Just that the other person wants to hurt you, and
perhaps provoke a fight.  Why let them get to you?  You are handing them
the means to make you act abnormally and stupidly.

So the guns come out and people are dead.  Just how does this protect your
mother's reputation?  Is this what she wants?

You don't have to tell me that young people and minorities are the most
affected by this.  We all know this.  Tragic.

I would add that the very best way to handle these situations, just like
road rage, is to forgive them - the main preaching of Christianity (which I
am not).  Except that I know that this virtue is in very short supply in
most people.

But I just wonder what would happen if a teen got dissed and said "I
forgive you."  And said that repeatedly if necessary.

Just where and how do we learn self-control?  Clearly not enough places.

bill w