[ExI] all we are is just llms

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 13:41:54 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, 9:07 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] all we are is just llms
>

> On 25/04/2023 00:00, spike wrote:
>
> >>…In any case, I don’t know what that spike-trains business is about.
> Ben, do explain please.  Sounds kinda cool.
>

> Try:
> http://www.neuwritewest.org/blog/2015/1/3/ask-a-neuroscientist-whats-a-spike-train
>
> >…Not to get too technical, neurons 'fire' by depolarising the cell
> membrane. …One other thing I will say: biology is messy. …. The brain is
> like a computer in some ways, and not like one in others, is really all you
> can sensibly say…Ben
>

> Cool thx Ben.  I had never thought of it that way, but it is a cause for
> hope.  If we find enough ways a brain is like a computer, it suggests a
> mind can (in theory) exist in a computer, which is something I have long
> believed and hoped is true.  If thought is substrate dependent on biology,
> we are all sunk in the long run.

I think the question of how alike or unalike the brain is to/from computers
as orthogonal to the question of whether or not thought is substrate
dependant. What matters is whether the brain does anything that a computer
could not emulate/simulate.

Jason