[ExI] all we are is just llms

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Apr 25 13:06:37 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] all we are is just llms

Try: http://www.neuwritewest.org/blog/2015/1/3/ask-a-neuroscientist-whats-a-spike-train

>…Not to get too technical, neurons 'fire' by depolarising the cell membrane. …One other thing I will say: biology is messy. …. The brain is like a computer in some ways, and not like one in others, is really all you can sensibly say…Ben

Cool thx Ben.  I had never thought of it that way, but it is a cause for hope.  If we find enough ways a brain is like a computer, it suggests a mind can (in theory) exist in a computer, which is something I have long believed and hoped is true.  If thought is substrate dependent on biology, we are all sunk in the long run.