[ExI] a little essay on anger and respect

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Apr 25 19:42:42 UTC 2023

Brent Allsop wrote:

 >Precisely the reason I fight against anti qualia transhumanists is
because in my belief, you are part of the problem. Everyone can know,
absolutely, that our knowledge of [image: red_border.png], is different
from a code like "*RED*". And I'm sorry, in my opinion, as much as you
know about neuroscience, to me, and many religious people, when you make
the claims you make about qualities, like this, you completely destroy
your reputation in their eyes.

Well you are mistaken. In my opinion.

Everyone does know that there's a difference between the experience of
something and a label used to refer to the experience. Nobody is
disputing this. Nobody thinks that the title "War and Peace" is the same
thing as the entire book. You seem to be claiming that some people (most
of the scientifically-literate people on this list, for starters) are
mixing the two things up. If that is your claim, it's false.

 > when you make the claims you make about qualities, like this

What claims? You are the one making claims about 'qualities' (whatever
they are supposed to be), with nothing to back them up, except intuition.

What we are saying is that the experiences that we have are dynamic
patterns (very complex patterns) of information. We use simple labels
(e.g. "pineapple") to communicate a very complex pattern of information
that is the experience each one of us has (experiences which could very
well - and almost certainly are, although we can't tell for certain - be
completely different) in response to seeing, eating, smelling or reading
about, a pineapple.

When I say "I can taste pineapple", I'm using the label that I,
personally, link to the complex pattern of information in my brain that
is active while I'm tasting pineapple, to evoke in someone else, their
own personal complex pattern of information in their brain that is
active when they are tasting pineapple.

Naturally, as we all have many small differences in physiology and
anatomy and neurology, it's extremely unlikely (and completely
irrelevant) that we experience exactly the same thing. All we can know
is that we can both point to the same object (a pineapple) and agree
that the phrase "I can taste pineapple" refers to 'the taste of
pineapple', whatever that is to each of us.

I can't see how this is remotely controversial. I don't see why we are
arguing over it.

Neuroscientists can demonstrate, in any number of actual experiments (as
opposed to arguments), that complex neural patterns are what occur when
people experience things. They can demonstrate, in actual experiments,
that in the absence of these patterns, the experiences do not occur.

I don't know what else I can say, or what else anybody needs.

(and I should point out that, as far as I know, nobody knows what on
earth you mean when you say 'knowledge of', as you insist on doing in
front of just about everything. If it really does add something, you
really need to explain it, because it's a good example of the
'impenetrable personal jargon' that people keep complaining about)

Ben