[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 13:04:21 UTC 2023

Hi Henry,
Welcome to the conversation, it is good to have other people weigh in on
this, as required to better understand how everyone currently thinks about
what we are.
It took me some time to digest what you are saying.  I think I understand,
so I want to say it back to you to see if I understand it.

First, let me see if I can summarize the primary disagreement in this
entire conversation.  It now appears there are some things both camps can
now agree on, we  just have differing values about what is important.  I
think Giovani captured this brilliantly with:

“This is again a demonstration of the validity of the functionalist
understanding of brain function. All I [functionalists] care about is the
association, not how it feels to have the redness experience but how
generalized it is.”

So, Henry, you indicated the Perceiving a Strawberry
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness?chapter=perceiving+a+strawberry&format=360>
video was thought provoking.  Perhaps it got you to realize there are
qualities or properties of subjective knowledge,  you are just indicating
that external consistency in our ability to communicate about the nature of
reality out there is more important than any property or type of code any
intelligence may be using to represent that knowledge, in their brain.

In other words, it seems to me that all the functionalists value is that we
can all say: "The Strawberry is Red"  (as portrayed in this image) while
some of us value the nature of the knowledge inside the brain, which
enables us to all say: "The strawberry is red."

[image: The_Strawberry_is_Red_064.jpg]

Henry, Giovani, and everyone.  Does that capture the differences between
the substrate independent, and substrate dependent camps?
We all agree on the facts portrayed in this image, we are just valuing
different parts of it, and some of us want to ignore other parts of it.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 9:45 PM Henry Rivera via extropy-chat <