[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 04:50:12 UTC 2023

Brent,
I want to make you understand that science has done away with qualities for
a long time. Let me give you an example: the idea of something being "hot".
Something being hot or cold as some intrinsic property or quality is how
the ancients would describe natural phenomena. Fire is hot, ice is cold,
these are their qualities. Empedocles
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empedocles> formulated the classical theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_elements> that there were four
elements—water, earth, fire, and air—and Aristotle
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle> reinforced this idea by
characterizing them as moist, dry, hot, and cold.

Later at the beginning of the scientific revolution, the idea of a possible
substance associated with heat transfer was proposed and then abandoned. It
turned out that heat is not a quality (same with moist, dry, cold) but a
dynamical process, in fact, it is the average kinetic energy of billions of
particles in an object. When two objects come in contact the heat transfer
is simply the result of the faster particles colliding and transferring
part of the energy to the cooler, slower-moving particles. It turned out
that a lot of properties in nature are not "qualities" but processes and
interactions.

Again in this sense, I say redness is an illusion, it is not a quality, it
is not a substance but a process. You can point out to a sequence of
neurons activating and say "it seems this person is experiencing redness"
simply because after studying many individuals we can identify that
particular neuron firing pattern as associated with the processing of the
brain that results in the sensation of redness (that we can know by the
person self-reported experience for example).

I think I may understand better your concern. You want to assure people
that are worried about things like uploading that when they are uploaded
their entire self is really uploaded because we understand completely what
it means to be Giovanni for example. You want to assure them that we can
have a 1 to 1 representation of who they are. I think I get what you are
trying to say now better.

But I can tell you that the functionalist view should be more reassuring
that your substrate-dependent ideas about human consciousness. In fact, the
entire idea that uploading would preserve our consciousness, personality,
and sense of self is all based on the hypothesis that all that matters is a
function, and in fact, the most essential functions are enough.

So while I do understand better your motivation now I still don't get the
fixation with things like qualia because it is not really what makes us.
And if substratum was really fundamental for a particular type of
consciousness to be supported then the entire idea of uploading seems
futile to me. In that case, we should try to support biology and replace
old cells with new ones, rejuvenate tissues, and so on, that by the way, it
is a good intermediate step until we actually know how to upload minds and
have tested this extensively.

One more thing while I'm on the topic of biology, substrata, and function.
Another argument for functionalism is the fact we continuously replace the
actual matter in our bodies. Even bones are completely replaced by new
atoms every few years. Individual neurons last for a long time and they can
be replaced but more slowly than other cells but their individual atoms are
continuously replaced all the time. So it is not a particular substance
that counts, it is the arrangement and connections between the parts that
counts.

Giovanni