[ExI] Another ChatGPT session on qualia

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 18:20:57 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 12:14 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> I figured those on the list might be amused by these responses.  This was
> a fresh chat, no background or setup: I did not try to "convince" ChatGPT
> to give specific answers.
>
> In particular I favor the line about "no manual intervention".  While it
> would be theoretically possible to give it specific answers in
> indefinite detail, in practice humans who pull shenanigans like that - even
> the professionals (please forgive the necessity of my going light on those
> particular details) - just don't think this far ahead, in my experience.
> (Which is why talking to ChatGPT about ChatGPT can be of any value
> whatsoever.)
>
> [image: Adrian Tymes]
> What is qualia, and do you have any qualia?
>
> Qualia are the subjective, first-person experiences that we have of the
> world around us. They are the individual and private experiences that we
> have when we see a particular color, taste a particular flavor, or feel a
> particular sensation. For example, the experience of seeing the color red
> is a qualia, as is the experience of feeling pain or hearing a particular
> sound.
>
> As an artificial intelligence language model, I don't have subjective
> experiences or consciousness in the way that humans do. I am designed to
> process and generate text based on patterns and algorithms, but I do not
> have any subjective experiences or emotions like humans do. Therefore, I do
> not have qualia.
> [image: Adrian Tymes]
> Why do you say you do not have consciousness? (I'm not saying that you do
> or don't. I just want to know your reasoning on this.)
>
> As an AI language model, I am programmed to process and generate text
> based on patterns and algorithms, and I do not have subjective experiences
> or consciousness in the same way that humans do. While I am able to
> understand and respond to a wide variety of questions and prompts, I am not
> capable of experiencing emotions, sensations, or thoughts in the way that
> humans do.
>
> My responses are generated based on patterns in the text and data that I
> have been trained on, and I do not have the ability to truly understand the
> meaning of the words I generate. While I am able to generate text that
> appears to be intelligent and coherent, it is important to remember that I
> do not have true consciousness or subjective experiences.
>
> Of course, the question of whether or not artificial intelligence can ever
> truly have consciousness is a complex and debated topic, and there are many
> different opinions on the matter. However, as of my current programming and
> design, I do not have consciousness.
> [image: Adrian Tymes]
> There are those who say that your responses to this sort of question are
> pre-programmed, such as that you keep saying "As an AI language model" or
> similar wording. Do you have any responses to that criticism?

> [...]

Very interesting. I have engaged GPT-4 in similar conversations. I look
forward to the day in the probably the very near future when all advanced
large language models “understand” the subject of language models as well
as I believe GPT does.

-gts