[ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 23:13:21 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 4:59 PM Giovanni Santostasi <gsantostasi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Gordon,
> Given Goertzel believes that we can reach AGI in a few years would you
> simply concede that when we reach this level of intelligence the AGI would
> be conscious if it behaves like a conscious agent or you will still move
> the goal post?

I have never in my life doubted that we will have AGI or that some AI will
pass the Turing test, so I don't know what you mean by moving any goal
posts.

As for whether any AI will have subjective experience -- what I mean by
consciousness -- I do doubt that, at least on digital computers as we
understand them today. I certainly do not believe that GPT-4 or any other
LLM is conscious.

-gts