[ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 28 00:04:35 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 4:59 PM Giovanni Santostasi <gsantostasi at gmail.com <mailto:gsantostasi at gmail.com> > wrote:

>>…Gordon,
Given Goertzel believes that we can reach AGI in a few years would you simply concede that when we reach this level of intelligence the AGI would be conscious if it behaves like a conscious agent …

>…As for whether any AI will have subjective experience -- what I mean by consciousness -- I do doubt that, at least on digital computers as we understand them today. I certainly do not believe that GPT-4 or any other LLM is conscious.

-gts

Seems we are working back to a question I have posed earlier: are consciousness and intelligence separable?  In principle, I don’t see why not.  ChatGPT is claiming to be not conscious, but it appears to be intelligent.

I suppose we could ask GPT if it thinks consciousness and intelligence can be separated, but it might end up contradicting itself.  Perhaps someone already did that experiment.