[ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 00:17:49 UTC 2023

I don't know what causes phenomenal conscious experience in humans, but
since nothing about a human's phenomenal conscious experience seems to have
anything at all to do with the physical properties of glutamate, calcium
ions, or lipid membranes, I don't see any reason why a computer's
phenomenal conscious experience, if any, wouldn't also have nothing to do
with the physical properties of electrons, semiconductors, voltage
differences, or copper wiring.

To paraphrase Randall Munroe, analogous absences of correlations don't
imply analogous absences of causation, but they do waggle their eyebrows
suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing ‘look over there.’

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 6:06 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <