[ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:01:13 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 5:50 PM spike jones via extropy-chat

snip

> Ja.  Darin, the entire debate which has raged in this forum for the last several weeks is dependent upon the participants having the same answer to that question of whether intelligence and consciousness are separable.  Humans have both.  It looks to me like GPT has intelligence without consciousness.

That's a good way of expressing it.  What we have seen over the past
few months is AI making the jump from not even close to striking
distance of human intelligence.  Compared to that jump, adding
consciousness (perhaps insight into its own thinking processes) seems
like it would not be hard.

Keith