[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 09:28:10 UTC 2023

Also I think a better example of all this would be an engine.
Yes, the engine is not made of its components. The engine is really a
device, so it is a complex object but it real reason to exist is to perform
a function, an action.
What is the action? Well it is to use a form of compact energy, in the case
of an internal combustion engine it is gasoline that is a very
combustible fluid. If one goes through the details of how the engine works,
one explains how the fluid is ignited by a spark, that the spark creates an
explosion in the combustible liquid and the explosion creates an expansion
in a cylinder in a pipe, that the cylinder pushes some gears that
eventually transfer this vertical motion to other gears that change the
vertical motion into rotational motion transferred to the wheels of the car
and the tires of attached to the wheel because of their friction have
traction and this moves the car forward... if one gives all this
explanation (probably an engineer can add more details, schematics,
calculations) but if one gives all this level of details of all the
functions, and interactions and cause and action then for sure you have an
explanation of how a car works. It is all in the function. Yes, the
materials to use to build the car can be useful and important in building a
specific car but the essence and understanding of what a engine is has
nothing to do with its component, but only its function.