[ExI] Zombies

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 14:09:54 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 1:09 PM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 6:15 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>
>> From my discussions with Brent and Gordon, they differ in their views.
>>

> We differ mostly in that Brent has some physicalist ideas about how, for
> example, something like glutamate might explain the experience of redness.
> Like many people here, I do not understand that point of view.

It's not so much as something "explains" redness, as something "has"
redness.
We can't explain gravity, we just know that it is a fact that mass attracts
mass.
I think all I'm saying is that abstract observation through senses, and
descriptions of behavior, don't tell you what the behavior is like.
The only way to do that is through computational binding
<https://canonizer.com/topic/827-Name-for-Binding-Problem-Sltn/2-Computational-Binding>
.
We need to plugh whatever it is that has a redness quality, into a
computational
binding
<https://canonizer.com/topic/827-Name-for-Binding-Problem-Sltn/2-Computational-Binding>
system to find out.
That won't explain why it has a redness quality, it will just prove the
fact of whatever it is that has a redness quality.