[ExI] Zombies

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 22:21:12 UTC 2023

*I'm not sure if you saw my response to the conversation you had with LaMDA
about its understanding of word meanings. Its positive response was
nonsensical. LaMDA claimed that its creators provided it with a database of
word meanings, which is impossible. Any such database would consist of
written word definitions, leading to an endless cycle of looking up
definitions for the words within those definitions, and so on in
an endless search for meaning. *Gordon,
For god's sake, that is what we do all the time no matter what....
Do you know Umberto Eco? He wrote entire books showing that is exactly what
happens with language natural or not.
You don't need to do this process forever at a point meaning converges to
good enough probabilities. Nothing is ever certain, you have very naive
understanding of language.

On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 10:10 PM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <