[ExI] [Extropolis] Irrational mechanics, draft Ch. 6. Creative evolution toward quality. Also, the 2nd test flight of Starship and the OpenAI drama.

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 05:06:27 UTC 2023

<John: I don't think it's necessary to invoke retrocausal influences to
explain why we wouldn't feel like a puppet with somebody else pulling the
strings even if we were as deterministic as a cuckoo clock.>

I agree. It is not necessary to invoke retrocausal influences to explain
why we FEEL like we have free will. Wolfram's argument based on
computational irreducibility (the fastest way to know with certainty that
something will happen is to wait and see if it happens) explains this well
enough. But I still make a difference between feeling that we have free
will and actually having free will.