[ExI] [Extropolis] Irrational mechanics, draft Ch. 6. Creative evolution toward quality. Also, the 2nd test flight of Starship and the OpenAI drama.

Giulio Prisco giulioprisco at protonmail.ch
Sat Dec 2 08:28:21 UTC 2023

<John: feeling is the most important thing in the world, or at least that's the way I feel.>

So do I! We agree on something!

<being determined by the external environment...>

My whole point is that we are determined by the global whole of which we are an irreducible part, but not by the *external* environment (the rest of the world without us).

<You would remain uniquely determined by initial conditions in the far past even if retro causality turned out to exist>

Not so, unless you add that the initial conditions in the far past are partly determined by your thoughts and actions here and now. This sounds seriously retrocausal, so I guess it is better to avoid speaking of causality (which is not a condition for science, as Bertrand Russell was one of the first to realize) and speak only of correlations spread all over spacetime. Wittgenstein docet.

<I like to think that my actions were not Random and that I always had a reason for them, but I have to admit that just like everybody else sometimes I do things for no reason, sometimes I am UNreasonable.>

I guess at times random (as far as we can tell atm) quantum events in your brain get amplified to the macroscopic world and constitute "atoms of free choice" (ref. Penrose) out of which the macroscopic phenomenon that is your free agencies emerge.
And here's to unreasonable irrationality! It's the stuff of which dreams are made before becoming facts. Irrational mechanics!

--
Giulio Prisco
https://linktr.ee/giulioprisco
giulioprisco at protonmail.ch