[ExI] [Extropolis] Irrational mechanics, draft Ch. 6. Creative evolution toward quality. Also, the 2nd test flight of Starship and the OpenAI drama.

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 10:06:10 UTC 2023

<John: paradoxes would be produced unless there was some sort of strict
censorship regarding the type of information that we are and not allowed to
transmit into the past.>

Some scientists e.g. Novikov and Forward think that things always work out
self-consistently. This is suggested by the example of billiard balls that
loop in time through wormholes, worked out by Thorne et. al. No censorship
is imposed, but the solutions are always self-consistent.

I prefer to think that the universe tries to keep everything
self-consistent in a given timeline, but introduces another timeline when
self-consistency is impossible in the original timeline.

<And it seems to me a vast, perhaps infinite, intellect (a.k.a. God) would
be required to figure out what information was safe to transport into the
past so as to avoid all paradoxes>

You don't have to call this entity God if you don't want to. You can call
it the cosmic operating system, or just the universe like more and more
people do.