[ExI] Surveillance - Progress Report

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 13:16:41 UTC 2023

The Internet Enabled Mass Surveillance. A.I. Will Enable Mass Spying.
Spying has always been limited by the need for human labor. A.I. is
going to change that.

By Bruce Schneier     Dec 04, 2023

<https://slate.com/technology/2023/12/ai-mass-spying-internet-surveillance.html>
Quotes:
Mass surveillance fundamentally changed the nature of surveillance.
Because all the data is saved, mass surveillance allows people to
conduct surveillance backward in time, and without even knowing whom
specifically you want to target. Tell me where this person was last
year. List all the red sedans that drove down this road in the past
month. List all of the people who purchased all the ingredients for a
pressure cooker bomb in the past year.

Similarly, mass spying will change the nature of spying. All the data
will be saved. It will all be searchable, and understandable, in bulk.
Tell me who has talked about a particular topic in the past month, and
how discussions about that topic have evolved.
-----------------

Bruce Schneier is an internationally renowned security technologist,
called a “security guru” by The Economist. He is the author of over
one dozen books—including his latest, A Hacker’s Mind—as well as
hundreds of articles, essays, and academic papers.

By coincidence, another article is about the widespread sale of hidden
spy cameras on Amazon and other websites.
<https://www.theregister.com/2023/12/05/amazon_camera_hook_case_proceeds/>
If you rent a room via Airbnb or similar, you should assume there will
be a hidden spy camera somewhere on the premises.
(And maybe a microphone as well),

Privacy is becoming harder and harder to achieve.

BillK