[ExI] Effective accelerationism (e/acc) is good

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:58:49 UTC 2023

On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM BillK via extropy-chat <

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 16:03, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> >
> > The intent is good; the name is unfortunate.  It brings connotations of
> "effective altruism", which is struggling with those who have used it as a
> cover for ill deeds (as well as concerns over whether it has been effective
> in practice), and "accelerationism", a political philosophy that tries for
> "make things worse so the people (in charge or at large) will have to wake
> up and do the right thing" but in practice usually only achieves "make
> things worse".
>

> What is Effective Accelerationism: Advantages and Disadvantages
> Posted on November 28, 2023 by Kris Timothy Simon
>
> <
> https://www.profolus.com/topics/what-is-effective-accelerationism-advantages-disadvantages/
> >
> Quotes:
> Effective accelerationism combines and refines the ideas of
> accelerationism and effective altruism.

That doesn't seem to be drawing from the common meaning of
"accelerationism".  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerationism .

I can see a version of the word that is compatible, but it's not the one
most folk know.  Such a basic failure of research leaves me doubtful that
any organized movement using that as its name is capable of accomplishing
much of note.