[ExI] Effective accelerationism (e/acc) is good

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:23:32 UTC 2023

On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 18:14, Jason Resch via extropy-chat

> I don't know that the rate can be changed. It appears to be a reliable function of well-established economic and demographic trends:
>
> See: https://arxiv.org/abs/1206.0496
> "Extremely simple mathematical models are shown to be able to account for 99.2–99.91 per cent of all the variation in economic and demographic macrodynamics of the world for almost two millennia of its history."
>
> Or this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_von_Foerster#Doomsday_equation
>
> The trends are reliable enough that someone with economic data from Rome through the middle ages could have predicted that we would approach hyperbolic economic growth early in the 21st century. I write about the predictive power of these trends here: https://alwaysasking.com/when-will-ai-take-over/#The_Doomsday_Equation
>
> Jason

The e/acc movement comes out of Silicon Valley and advocates for the
acceleration of the rate of technological progress by supporting the
development and deployment of new technologies, such as artificial
intelligence, nanotechnology, and biotechnology.

This new tech seems to act as superpowers for humans. It seems
reasonable to expect that this will speed up tech progress.
The concern, of course, is that “Move fast and break things” - Mark
Zuckerberg, could damage humanity too much.

BillK